It’s a nice sentiment and definitely a catchy phrase, but is there merit behind the saying “Food is medicine” first coined by Hippocrates, the father of western medicine. I personally have always been a big believer in “you are what you eat” but can you really use food as medicine?
Over the last few years I’ve had to look at what I eat in a whole new way, to heal myself from Chronic Gastritis which is still an ongoing process. I went through countless articles, numerous books and plenty of google searches to understand what makes my body tick and what works for me.
I wanted to share with you some of my favourite articles written by the best of the best, explaining why our food really is our medicine and what we eat really does matter!
- Dr Axe, sums it up! 6 ways food works like medicine – https://draxe.com/food-is-medicine/
- A brief history of where the phrase came from and why we are using pills as our medicine today – https://www.superchargedfood.com/food-is-medicine/
- 6 Basic Principles of using Food as Medicine – https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-14920/6-basic-principles-of-using-food-as-medicine.html
- Easy read about our second brain, the Gut – https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog/the-fallible-mind/201701/the-pit-in-your-stomach-is-actually-your-second-brain
- Everything on this site – http://www.medicalmedium.com/medical-medium-blog-healing-foods.htm
These are just some of the articles I have come across and all share the same message. Food when treated right and consumed with care and healthy intensions, is the building blocks for a healthy mind and body. Good food is a preventative measure against illness and disease. When we eat the right foods, in moderation, we take care of the gut, when the gut is happy the mind is happy and the roll on affects throughout our lifetime are well worth it.
It was my partnership with Phyton Whole Foods that got me thinking about the theory of ‘Food is Medicine’, really thinking about it and I realised without food to nourish us, without the nutrients, vitamins and minerals all working together to sustain our bodies, what else do we really have? I can tell you now…sugar won’t sustain you for a long time…a good time maybe, but not a long happy healthy time.
Eat Well, Live Well Legends! xxx